Places to Go
- Port Townsend State Park is adjacent to Kala Point. Several miles of bicycle and hiking trails can be accessed from Kala Point or from Highway 20.
- The Port Townsend Aero Museum, next to the runway of the Jefferson County International Airport, holds interesting displays of restored aircraft and models. A small café at the airport is a fun place for breakfast or lunch while watching small planes take off and land.
- Fort Worden has museums (the Puget Sound Coast Artillery Museum in the main row of buildings and the Port Townsend Marine Science Center on the waterfront), the lighthouse, camping areas and hiking trails, the military bunkers, plus housing used for large-group conferences or for individuals to rent. Kayak rentals also available. Note: this is a Washington state park, so you need a Discover Pass to park here.
- On Water Street in downtown Port Townsend, you’ll find the Northwest Maritime Center and Wooden Boat Foundation. (An annual Wooden Boat Festival is held the weekend after Labor Day each year.) Check out The Rose Theater for first-run films in a quaint theater (just off Water St. at Taylor). Wander through the many quaint shops in old Victorian buildings.
- Uptown has Aldrich’s historic (burned but restored) grocery store, the library, restaurants and shops, a community center, The Uptown Theater, and a Saturday Farmers’ Market. Chetzemoka Park offers picnic areas, a playground, nice walking trails and Shakespeare-in-the Park in the summer months. On the way back down to Water Street, Key City Theater has interesting productions and on Monroe Street, you'll find an excellent skateboard park for the young at heart, .
- Boating skills lessons for women: day-long intensive classes in a variety of maritime skills such as anchoring and docking. At the Northwest Maritime Center, 431 Water Street. Contact email@example.com Phone: 360-385-3628
- Gardeners’ Plant Clinic: at the Chimacum Farmstand every other Sunday from June through September. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winery tours near Port Townsend include The Fairwinds Wineryand Sorenson Cellars in Port Townsend and Harbinger Winery, and Olympic Cellars in Port Angeles..
- Wine-tasting at The Wine Seller on Water Street: October through June: 1st/3rd Fridays 5:30 – 7:30 See website for special tastings.
- Local cheese making at Mt. Townsend Creamery: .
- The Jefferson County Museum of Art and History on Water Street is filled with visual art and historical displays.